"With Pomp, Power & Glory the world beckons vainly, In chase of such vanities why should I roam?While Peace & Content bless my little thatched cottage,And warm my own hearth with the Treasures of Home."*Beatrix Potter

Sunday 31 August 2014

Last Week of Our English Summer

I can't believe how fast this Summer has gone, maybe it is because I am growing older.  But don't they say the older you grow the quicker it goes!
                
The children are back to their studies this week so life will change. I have enjoyed the carefree days & days outside, we have had a truly blessed Summer.

Kitty & Mary planted these sunflowers, they have done so well in this spot. I know the hens will enjoy the heads once they have dried a little.

 
A friend gave us some Victoria Plums from his garden so I made a plum pudding with them.
 
 
I love the colours of these plums, so pretty.
 
 
We enjoyed it warm with some cream. These photo's look very Autumnally, how quick Summer is ending.


                   Kitty is busy collecting leaves in the garden to make a wreath.
 
 
We are off out for a day on Tuesday to a working museum so I made a batch of Toll House Cookies to take with us. I have had this recipe for nearly ten years now, it was sent to me from a friend Karen in MA. If you look above the inglenook fireplace you can see the girls wreath, they loved collecting all the leaves, chestnuts, rosehips & hazelnuts to decorate it.
 
 
I thought you would like to meet Bobby our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel , he is such a gentle loving soul.

 
 
Kitty with a pot of raspberries, they have done so well this year.
We have a late fruiting variety & they just keep fruiting. You have to be quick though before the birds get them.
I have frozen so many & the girls can not get enough of them on their porridge.

 
 
I made the meat loaf out of Tasha Tudor cook book for dinner, we had it with noodles & green beans.
This is the first time I have made it & we had an empty plate.
 
 
Sweetcorn just picked from the garden, perfect with our chicken, potatoes & beans for Sunday lunch.
 
 
 
Rock cakes for tea, we enjoy them with butter on top.
I make these every week it seems, we love them & they are quick to fill the cake tins as they never stay full for long!
 
 
Andy took this photo of me in the garden the other day.
I thought you might like to put a face to the name.
 
 
Enjoy your day.
Michelle
 
                                                      
 

9 comments:

  1. Indeed, where is our year flying to in such haste? Turning my calendars this damply, misty Autumn morn, I shuddered at how fast August disappeared. A bowl of plums! Surely one of the delights of an Autumn table ~ along with pears, apples, and all the bounty from the gardens. Enjoy your museum visit ~~~waving~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have pears & apples on the tree's here. I must admit it is a tiring day canning but you end up with such beauty in jars.
      We have a damp misty morning too, I am so glad of my wood burning cooker.

      Delete
  2. Good morning Michelle and Debs.......We will have to wait another month here in the States for it to feel like Autumn. We will have temperatures in the 90's F all week and we are in the Mid-Atlantic not the deep South! Humidity, too. :-( Your garden produces so well. We gave up vegetable gardening between our rocky soil (we're on one of the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains), lack of water combined with the heat and humidity, pests, and critters it just wasn't worth it for the two of us. Bobby does look like a sweetheart. I have a Westie who is very protective of me and therefore is always putting on an act of gruffiness, but he really is quite loving. I'm really enjoying my "visits" to your lovely home. I love your dress! I can see why you love Tasha Tudor. Are you an artist, too, like your daughters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cathy,
      I do like to paint but since having the last five children I really have not had the time. As the girl grow older I do hope to get back to painting. I love hearing about where you live & your little dog, westie's are so cute.
      Enjoy the rest of your day.

      Delete
  3. Hello Dearest Michelle!
    I had many of those satisfied sighs as I visited today! Everything has a gentle fulfilling feel to it, and very wholesome indeed! ;-)
    Kitty, so sweet, looks like she is right out of a Tasha painting! And Bobby is smoochable!! He must get plenty kisses upon his dear head and nose!!
    Have a wonderful day,
    Many Blessings and hugs, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Bobby does get loved a lot, he has such a beautiful nature & loves little children. Thank you for all your kind comments about our life.
      Enjoy the rest of you day.

      Delete
    2. I just came back to say thanks for your visit and I just noticed,is that you in a Laura Ashley dress?? I love it!!
      Many Blessings, Linnie

      Delete
    3. Hello Linnie, The dress us to be my mother's from the 1970's & I love it, I wear it all the time. I do have some Laura Ashley dresses too.

      Delete
  4. I love the little wreaths your daughters made- how wonderful! And your dog is adorable. Enjoy your day out at the working museum!

    ReplyDelete